Title: Managing Artistic Director (12 month contract, possibility of renewal)
Starting Contract: $20,904.00
Timeline: January 1st – December 31st, 2021 (averaging 16.75 hrs/week, 67 hrs/month)
Young Lungs Dance Exchange is a not-for-profit artist-run support organization committed to the development, creation and presentation of contemporary dance and performance on Treaty 1 Territory, Winnipeg, MB.
YLDE’s range of projects are aimed at dancers, makers, thinkers of dance, and anyone contributing to their physical understanding of self and the world around them. YLDE believes that physical expression is a political act that requires support and community interaction. We therefore are committed to nurturing the beginnings of the creative process when artists are most engaged in experimentation, research, building new ideas and discovering new collaborations.
We’re looking for a Managing Artistic Director to lead our organization in supporting the evolution of dance in Manitoba. The ideal candidate will share with us a love for dance and the belief that dance should hold a vital and valued place in society. As well, they will have an excitement for creative visioning, and the drive to steer this organization.
RESPONSIBILITIES of YLDE’s MANAGING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
- Research, vision, and plan future Young Lungs Dance Exchange organizational development in collaboration with the board of directors, and board committees
- Research grant opportunities that match the direction of the organization
- Lead team of contractors (Marketing & Communications Director, Research Series Coordinator, Bookkeeping, etc.)
- Liaise with, and maintain positive relations to all those connected to YLDE (contractors, artists, funders, partners, stakeholders, etc.)
- Oversee all YLDE activity
- Secure appropriate studio space/venues, and work with the online platform ‘Zoom’
- Respond appropriately to evolving MB COVID-19 protocols
- Manage workshops, training, jams, presentations, and outreach events
- Write grants, reports, and contracts
- Write calls for artists, calls for contractors, statements to the public, etc.
- Propose projected budget and maintain actual budget
- General bookkeeping, and work with bookkeeper to manage YLDE finances
- Manage payroll and pay all invoices
- Maintain an organized filing system for all YLDE related documents
- Report to the board of directors
- Monitor work hours, budgeting time appropriately for work dense periods (ex. grant deadlines)
Communications and Outreach
- Act as media contact
- Establish and maintain partnerships by engaging with relevant organizations, artists, and stakeholders within the local, national, and international arts community
- Oversee, and at times manage, social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)
- Manage website redevelopment
- Monitor and respond to emails
QUALIFICATIONS for YLDE’s MANAGING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, and visual)
- Strong independent work ethic, and excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency in excel spreadsheets
- Strong project management skills, ability to handle projects end-to-end
- Must have a love for communicating with people, and deep respect for art
- Must be highly adaptable and able to lead a team, as well as work collaboratively
- Must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends to attend events
- Must have an understanding of the online platform ‘Zoom’
- Must have access to wifi, work space, and a working smartphone & computer
- Must have experience in leading an organization or team
- Must have experience working in dance, performance, and/or the arts
- Experience working within the Winnipeg dance community is an asset
- Experience working in the non-profit sector, and with a board of directors is an asset
- Experience using WordPress, google drives, Mailchimp, Eventbrite, Facebook, Instagram, and twitter is an asset
- Must have expertise in the areas of grant writing, budgeting, making schedules, and keeping deadlines
Our Board of directors, Natasha Torres-Garner, Johanna Riley, Ali Robson, Alex Ramos, Jill Groening, Susie Burpee, Trevor Pick, Kayla Jeanson, and Hillarie Tasche, welcomes all humans to participate in YLDE activities, and strives to work on/with accessible platforms, and in physically accessible studios and venues. YLDE has a zero tolerance policy for any racial discrimination, transphobia, gender discrimination, misogyny, bullying, or sexual harassment. YLDE strives to be a safer space for everyone.
YLDE is committed to the principle of equitable access to employment, and welcomes applications from diverse backgrounds. We encourage you to self-identify in your cover letter.
If you are interested and qualified for this exciting opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume by end of day, Tuesday, December 8th, 2020 to Natasha Torres-Garner, Board Chair, Young Lungs Dance Exchange.
By email: email@example.com with subject line: YLDE Managing Artistic Director
We thank all applicants for their expression of interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Photo by Omid Moterassed, 2019.