2024 Research Residency
Call for Submissions
Research Residency Runs February-April 2024
The Research Residency is a program designed to support the kinesthetic and choreographic inquiries of artists from all disciplines engaging in dance and/or movement-based research by providing resources such as artists fees, studio space, and public presentation and discussion opportunities. The purpose of the residency is to allow for in-depth research, critical thinking, risk-taking, professional development, skill enhancement and an exchange of ideas, without the pressure of a finished work or conclusion.
Three (3) artists or artistic teams will be selected to participate in the 2024 Research Residency via the following application process. No less than two (2) of these teams will be Manitoban-led, and up to one (1) of these teams will be out-of-town-led. The Residency will take place in Winnipeg, MB. We encourage applicants from local and national contexts to apply. *YLDE is happy to provide letters of support for selected out of town artist(s) seeking additional funding to cover travel and living costs while in residence.
Young Lungs Dance Exchange (YLDE) is committed to the principle of equitable access and strives for a fair, cooperative, respectful, and safe environment that protects and promotes human rights and affirms the dignity of all persons. A minimum of one (1) Black, Indigenous, or artist of colour (or artistic team-lead) will be selected of the three (3) projects. We encourage you to self-identify.
YLDE has funds set aside to support a portion of accessibility-related costs. We are happy to work together with artists to secure the appropriate and necessary budgeting requirements.
Applications will be reviewed and chosen by a selection committee.
Context and Criteria
Resources facilitated by YLDE during the residency:
- A budget of $4,000 for artist fees, travel costs (if applicable), and additional labour and/or materials
- Access to an accessible studio space (up to 40 hrs) provided by YLDE
- Concluding roundtable discussion regarding the research undergone during the residency
- Public presentations of the research
- Video and Photo documentation of research presented
- Research will be considered in both written and visual essays published on the YLDE website
Each artist/group is required to adhere to the following:
- All artists involved must be available for, and demonstrate/share their research at the public Research Presentation, on Saturday April 20, 2024, as well as being available for the public Endnote Essayist Presentations and Discussion, on Sunday April 21, 2024
- Participate in public discussion/talk back sessions on the artist’s research
- Share their process with two essayists-in-residence (a writer and a visual artist/photographer), and other participating artists-in-residence through studio visits, cohort meet-ups, and postmortem
- Submit a final report at the end of the residency detailing activities, experience, and feedback
To apply, please submit the following information in PDF form by email with the subject line: Research Residency Submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Friday, December 1, 2023
1.Contact information: Full name, preferred pronouns, email, address, phone number.
2. A description of the research inquiry (800 words max.): Explain the inspiration for your inquiry, how it fits into your current practice. Discuss your research questions and your proposed research process.
3. CV (two-pages max. per CV): For collaborations, please include one CV per collaborator.
4. Biography of the lead artist(s) (each 250 words max.): If you are selected, this text will be used for promotional purposes (press release, website, social media, etc.).
5. Two items of support material: This can include recent dance or movement work/research, or relevant materials to provide context for your research proposal. Support material can be sent in the form of weblinks (Vimeo, Youtube, bandcamp) or attached PDF documents or small files with your emailed application. (***Google Drive links and not PDF documents will not be accepted.***) The jury will be asked to spend no more than 8 minutes on each submission’s support material. Please provide information on what you would like the jury to focus on if you are providing material that is longer than 4 minutes/1 written page/5 images each.
6. Budget: This is a critical part of the application. Make sure you are allocating enough funds towards maintaining a professional rate for all collaborators. YLDE suggests using the following guideline for dance artist fees – The CADA/West recommended MINIMUM for an hourly wage is $30.00/hr for professional artists. Materials, mentorship/consultation, travel costs, and specific requirements should also be considered in the budget. Note: YLDE covers up to 40 hours of studio rental outside of $4,000 artist fee.
For questions, including further accessibility funds information, please do not hesitate to contact Zorya Arrow at email@example.com.
Young Lungs Dance Exchange is a not-for-profit artist-run support organization committed to the development, creation, and presentation of contemporary dance and performance on Treaty 1 Territory, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
More information about Young Lungs Dance Exchange at www.younglungs.ca.
The 2024 Research Residency is made possible with the generous support of Winnipeg Arts Council and Manitoba Arts Council, and Canada Council for the Arts.