YLDE Co-Director Call — July 2022
Title: Co-Director (45 week contract, possibility of renewal)
Starting Contract: $12,000
Timeline: August 22, 2022 – June 30 2023 (averaging 10.5 hrs/week)
Young Lungs Dance Exchange is a not-for-profit artist-run support organization committed to the development, creation and presentation of contemporary dance and performance on Treaty 1 Territory, Winnipeg, MB.
YLDE’s range of projects are aimed at dancers, makers, thinkers of dance, and anyone contributing to their physical understanding of self and the world around them. YLDE believes that physical expression is a political act that requires support and community interaction. We therefore are committed to nurturing the beginnings of the creative process when artists are most engaged in experimentation, research, building new ideas and discovering new collaborations.
We’re looking for a Co-Director to join the team to co-lead our organization in supporting the evolution of dance in Manitoba. The ideal candidate will share with us a love for dance and the belief that dance should hold a vital and valued place in society. As well, they will have flexible daytime and evening availability, a strong grounding in dance/dance knowledge, strong grant writing skills, and have an excitement for creative visioning and working closely with a team to co-steer this organization.
RESPONSIBILITIES of YLDE’s CO-DIRECTOR
- Research, vision, and plan future Young Lungs Dance Exchange organizational development in collaboration with Co-Director and the board of directors
- Research grant opportunities that match the direction of the organization
- Co-Lead team of contractors (Residency Coordinator, Bookkeeping, etc.)
- Liaise with, and maintain positive relations to all those connected to YLDE (contractors, artists, funders, partners, stakeholders, etc.)
- Oversee all YLDE activity
- Secure appropriate studio space/venues, and work with the online platform ‘Zoom’
- Respond appropriately to evolving MB COVID-19 protocols
- Manage workshops, training, jams, presentations, and outreach events
- Write grants, reports, and contracts
- Write calls for artists, calls for contractors, statements to the public, etc.
- Propose projected budget and maintain actual budget
- General bookkeeping, and work with bookkeeper to manage YLDE finances
- Manage payroll and pay all invoices
- Maintain an organized filing system for all YLDE related documents
- Report to the board of directors
- Monitor work hours, budgeting time appropriately for work dense periods (ex. grant deadlines)
Communications and Outreach
- Act as media contact
- Establish and maintain partnerships by engaging with relevant organizations, artists, and stakeholders within the local, national, and international arts community
- Manage, social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)
- Produce regular bi-monthly e-newsletters
- Manage website redevelopment
- Monitor and respond to emails
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, and visual)
- Strong independent work ethic, and excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency in excel spreadsheets
- Strong project management skills, ability to handle projects end-to-end
- Must have a love for communicating with people, and deep respect for artists
- Must be highly adaptable and able to co-lead a team, working collaboratively
- Must have a strong dance knowledge base
- Must have flexible daytime, and some evening and weekend availability
- Must have access to wifi, work space, and a working smartphone & computer
- Must have experience in leading an organization or team
- Must have experience working in dance, performance, and/or the arts
- Experience working within the Winnipeg dance community is an asset
- Experience working in the non-profit sector, and with a board of directors is an asset
- Experience using WordPress, google drives, Mailchimp, Zoom, Eventbrite, Facebook, Instagram, and twitter is an asset
- Must have expertise in the areas of grant writing, budgeting, making schedules, and keeping deadlines
YLDE is committed to the principle of equitable access to employment, and welcomes applications from diverse backgrounds. We encourage you to self-identify in your cover letter.
If you are interested and qualified for this exciting opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume by end of day, Sunday, August 14th, 2022 to Kayla Jeanson, Board Chair, Young Lungs Dance Exchange.
By email: YLDEcodirectorcall@gmail.com with subject line: YLDE Co-Director
Young Lungs Dance Exchange (YLDE) is located in Winnipeg, MB on Treaty 1 Territory. Our Board of Directors, Kayla Jeanson, Sam Penner, Yuri Karube, Susie Burpee, Neilla Hawley, Jennifer Otisi, Johanna Riley, and Ella Steele welcomes all humans to participate in YLDE activities, and strives to work on/with accessible platforms, and in physically accessible studios and venues. YLDE has a zero tolerance policy for any racial discrimination, transphobia, gender discrimination, misogyny, bullying, or sexual harassment. YLDE strives to be a safer space for everyone.